Sunday, December 12, 2010

Tomato Sauce



There is nothing better than the smell of a pot of sauce cooking. I find it very comforting.

 I woke up this morning and saw how dreary and rainy it was and the first thing that popped into my head was that I should make a pot of sauce.  Since I was already heading out to the gym I just stopped at the local market and picked up all the ingredients.

Here is what you'll need:


  • 3 cans crushed tomatoes 
  • 2 cans tomato paste
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 head of garlic, minced
  • 1 tbsp jarred oregano
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • fresh basil
  • fresh Italian parsley
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • olive oil
In a dutch oven or large sauce pot heat up 2 tbsp olive oil.  Add onion, and garlic and saute until translucent.




Now add the oregano, and parsley. Continue to saute until really fragrant and the onions start to sweat. 



Now add the cans of crushed tomatoes.  I like to add one can at a time and then allow each can to cook for a minute or two before adding the next can.



Once all three cans are in you can add your first can of tomato paste.  The paste will be thick so i usually use a knife to help get the paste out.  With each can of paste fill the empty can with water and add the water to the sauce, mix thoroughly.  Add salt, pepper and sugar.





Now wash about 5-8 leaves of basil and roll the leaves together, and mince.  





Add the basil to the sauce and stir.



Now let simmer for a few hours.  I prefer my sauce to cook all day, especially if I am adding meatballs!


My next post...Meatballs!!!!







1 comment:

  1. hmmm - looks like you enjoyed the flounder in the aluminum foil. I wonder where Rachel got THAT recipe!!!!

    Love your blogs. Love your kids.

    Love, Bubbee

    ReplyDelete

Photos

please don't use my photos without asking...