Friday, December 3, 2010

Potato Latkes


I have been making potato latkes for years.  I think this was the first item I started to make all by myself as a child.  My family still calls me Rachel Latke because this was the responsibility I took on no matter who's house we went to on Hanukkah. I know there are many latke recipes out there but this recipe has been made in my family for as long as I can remember and I absolutely love these latkes!





Here is what you'll need:


  • Food Processor
  • 8 Potatoes
  • 1 med onion (can be omitted should you have a crazy onion allergy)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1 cup matza meal
  • 2 eggs
  • Vegetable oil for frying


Peel the potatoes and quarter them.  Quarter 1 medium onion.  In a food processor grate the potatoes and the onion.


(this is the first attachment I use)

Now take the potatoes and onion out and place in a seperate bowl.  Next with the double blade, add the potatoes that have been shredded and process .  Once that is done pour into a seperate bowl.



(this is the second attachment)


Mix in the matza meal, eggs, salt and pepper.  Create a hole in the middle and allow the liquids to pool to the center and with a spoon drain out the excess liquid.



Heat up a fry pan with vegetable oil, about a 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch high.  Allow the oil to get really hot.  With a spoon take some of the potato mixture and place it in the hot oil, then flatten with the back of the spoon.





Flip the latke when the other side has browned.  Place finished latke on a paper towel to get some of the excess oil off.  Put on an oven safe plate and keep warm in the oven.




Continue to do this until all the mixture is used up and then serve with apple sauce.


(My God Daughter enjoying her FIRST Potato Latke)

HAPPY HANUKKAH!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Photos

please don't use my photos without asking...