Sunday, December 12, 2010

Spanakopita


I love Spanakopita (spinach pie). Any time I go to a Greek restaurant I have to order it.  I was having some friends over recently and was making finger foods and I thought how hard could it be to make Spanakopita?  I found this recipe on www.allrecipes.com.  Of course I made some changes...I added garlic, butter and fresh dill.

Here is what you'll need:




  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 6 cloves of minced garlic
  • 2 packages of frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and drained
  • 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
  • 2 tbsp flour 
  • 8 ounces fresh feta cheese
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 package of phyllo dough
  • 4 tbsp butter
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • spray oil 
In a fry pan heat 2 tbsp butter and 2 tbsp olive oil.  Add the onion and garlic and saute until translucent (about 3 minutes).  




Add the drained spinach.  Saute the spinach with the onion's and garlic until all mixed together. I had to break up the spinach since when I was straining out the water it clumped together.  Add the dill and salt and pepper.  




Now transfer to  medium size bowl. Allow to cool for a few minutes.  Once cool add the feta cheese, if you got a block of cheese you will have to break up the feta as you add it to the spinach.  Now beat the 4 eggs and mix them into the spinach and feta. Once mixed add the 2 tbsp of flour to thicken the spinach mixture. 

Now for the fun part!

Take two pieces of the phyllo dough . 




 Lay down one piece and spray with spray oil.  Now add the second piece of phyllo and spray again.  Now with a pizza cutter cut the phyllo dough into thirds.  



Now take a generous amount of the spinach stuffing (about 1 1/2 tbsp) and place it on the phyllo dough.



Now fold the phyllo over the spinach in a triangular shape.


Continue to fold in triangles.





Now do that until all the mixture is gone.


Melt the remaining two tbsp butter and with a  pastry brush, brush each triangle with some butter. 



Place on a baking sheet and bake at 350 for 15 - 20 minutes.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Photos

please don't use my photos without asking...