Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Chorizo, Escarole and Bean Soup


I love soup and what I love even more is to make it.  My poor hubby works outside and today it reached a whopping 28 degrees.  After a freezing day like that I thought this soup, which has a little kick to it would be nice for him to come home to.

What you'll need:


  • 1 head of escarole, chopped
  • 1 can cannelloni beans
  • 1 can small white beans
  • 1lb Chorizo (spicy beef sausage)
  • 1 can diced tomatoes or 3 plum tomatoes diced
  • 5 cloves garlic, sliced
  • 1 red onion, sliced
  • 1 lemon
  • 1/2 cup white wine (today I used Chardonnay)
  • 1 tsp dried thyme
  • 1 bay leaf
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
  • 5 cups chicken or vegetable stock (today I made veggie broth from veggie bouillon cubes)
In a dutch oven or soup pot add 2 tbsp olive oil.  When oil is hot add the onions and saute until they begin to sweat.  



Add the garlic, diced tomatoes, salt, pepper, bay leaf and thyme.  Saute for a minute or so.  



Now add the crushed red pepper flakes.


Now add the chopped escarole and let the escarole begin to wilt.  Once the escarole starts to wilt add the juice of one lemon and the wine.  





(see how the escarole starts to wilt)

I like to cut the chorizo into 1/4 inch thick slices.


Add the broth, beans and the Chorizo.






Let the soup come to a simmer.  Cover the soup and cook for at least 1 hour.  I like to let the soup simmer on a low flame for a few hours.




Slice some fresh Pecorino Romano cheese and place it on top of the hot soup, serve with fresh bread.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Photos

please don't use my photos without asking...