Sunday, December 5, 2010

Bubbe's Brisket


This brisket recipe has been in my family for as long as I can remember.  My Grandma used to make this and then my Mom took the role of "Brisket Maker".  My Mother, like myself enjoys changing recipes. She would  make changes by adding one thing, then adding another.   I have not changed much of this recipe as I think it is great the way it is.
The whole family loves this dish, (even my kids) it goes great with mashed potatoes or like tonight it will be accompanied by potato latkes (see yesterdays post).

Here is what you'll need:





  • 4 - 5 lb Brisket (you can use a smaller brisket, I just have a lot of people coming today)
  • 2  8oz cans of tomato sauce (1 can for a smaller piece of meat)
  • 2 medium onions, sliced (1 for a smaller piece of meat)
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 lbs, carrots, cut to 1/2 inch pieces
  • 16 oz, mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 tbsp kitchen bouquet (found in the gravy aisle at your local supermarket)
  • Salt and pepper
  • olive oil
  • 1 tbsp corn starch





In a dutch oven or large pot heat some olive oil. Salt and pepper the brisket. Place the brisket into the dutch oven and brown on both sides.  



(boy this was a huge piece of meat)

Take the brisket out and now saute the onions, garlic, mushrooms and carrots.


Next add the tomato sauce and the kitchen bouquet.  



Here is where my mom and I differ.  

What I usually do: (except today)
I add water to the veggie mixture and then add the brisket to the dutch oven.  Then I leave the meat and veggies to simmer for a few hours on top of the stove.  I like to fuss over my dishes and with it on the stove top I can mix and fuss over the meal as it cooks.  Make sure the flame is on low and that the meat is not boiling, a slow simmer is what your looking for. 

What my Mom does:
My mom puts the brisket into a baking pan and then adds the veggies.  She then fills the dish with water until most of the brisket is covered.  She then bakes the brisket covered for a few hours on 325.

***Today I am using my mom's oven version to bake the brisket because this piece of meat I am using is so big it would not fit in my dutch oven with the veggies***

hmmm maybe I should get a BIGGER dutch oven!  Have I told you how much I love to shop for kitchen appliances and cookware!



(hey where did that meat go)



The meat will be very tender when it is finished. Take the brisket out of the pot or pan and slice it thin.




In the meantime dish out the veggies into a serving dish.  Add the sliced meat to the dish with the veggies.



In a small pot add the remaining liquid (which is really like a broth) and start to heat.  

When the broth starts to simmer, take 1 tbsp of corn starch and add some warm water to it to make a paste.


Add the paste to the simmering broth slowly whisking it as you add.  The broth will now become a gravy consistency.   Should the broth not get thick enough, you can continue adding more corn starch paste until it is to your desired consistency.  





I usually put some of the gravy over the meat before serving as well as putting some in a gravy boat.  Enjoy!!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Photos

please don't use my photos without asking...