Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Banana Bread



I love banana bread.  I have been making this banana bread recipe for as long as I can remember.  The recipe is from my trusty "Family Circle Encyclopedia of cooking", which I got from a garage sale many years ago.

I have changed this recipe over the years but this time I changed it even more.  I usually add chopped walnuts but my kids hate nuts and I knew they would like the bread if I left out the nuts.  I also added  a 1/2 cup of brown sugar and a half cup of white sugar instead of a whole cup of white sugar.  There is also a special ingredient, Wheat Germ!



Here is what you'll need:


  • 2 1/2 cups sifted flour
  • 3 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1 stick butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 3 very ripe bananas
  • 1/4 cup wheat germ, (I like to use the honey crunch Wheat Germ)
  • 1 cup chopped yellow raisins


In a large bowl sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt.  (sifting is very important as it prevents the bread from becoming too heavy)


In another bowl whip the room temperature butter, eggs and sugar.  




Put the ripe bananas in a large zip lock bag and seal the bag free of air. Once the bag is sealed begin to mush and flatten the bananas.


Now add the wet ingredients and the mushed bananas into the dry ingredients.  Mix thoroughly!



Now fold in the Wheat Germ.  



Next fold in the chopped golden raisins.


Grease a 9 x 5 x 3 inch glass loaf pan.


Add the batter to the loaf pan and sprinkle some brown sugar over the top of the batter.


Place in a 325 degree preheated oven for 80 minutes.


 Look at the beautiful brown color of this baked bread!






This bread was such a hit with my kids.  
My oldest who is a very picky eater ate two slices on the first day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Photos

please don't use my photos without asking...