Sunday, January 16, 2011

Kielbasa and Kraut



I have been on a mission looking for new recipes that would interest my readers.  When I came a cross this recipe it just sang yummy and I knew my husband would be a big fan of this.  While telling my husband what I was planning on making he got very excited and thought his Dad would love this too.

I was  at the library with my four year old and while she played I looked at some of the Food Network Magazine's which is where I found this recipe.  Of course I changed a few things...

Here is what you'll need:


  • 1 pound bag of sauerkraut
  • 8 red potatoes, halved
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 package of turkey kielbasa (you could use regular kielbasa as well, but the turkey has a lot less fat)
  • 1 pork chop about 8 oz
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, smashed
  • 1 tsp coriander seeds, crushed
  • 1 tsp juniper berries, crushed ( i could not find these so i did not use them , but i wanted to share this with you anyway)
  • 1/2 cup water
  • salt and pepper
  • 2 apples, peeled and grated
  • 1 cup white wine
  • 2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley




There is that crazy kid...AGAIN!



Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a skillet and saute the pork chop.


In a medium size bowl place the sauerkraut into warm water and let sit for 10 mins


(wow..bad pic...sorry)

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and add the red halved potatoes and cook for about 10 minutes or until soft.


Once they are cooked drain them and keep the cooked potatoes warm.





Peel the two apples and grate them  I used this hand grater. You could always use a Cuisinart but I felt that would be too much of a mess for two little apples.


Cut the Kielbasa in 1 inch pieces.


Once the pork chop is cooked through. Cut it off the bone and into pieces




Here is Saint see that face? 
He knew I was cutting up meat and really wanted some.


Does he look pathetic or what?



So guess who gets the extra pork?



My Boy Saint does...look at him...so happy!


Uh oh...Not a happy cat,
 as she missed her opportunity by about two minutes...well you snooze you lose Anna!

Anyway back to the food!  Drain the sauerkraut and set aside with the potatoes


Now in a large pot saute the Kielbasa until browned and then add the cut up pork chop.


Now add the onions, garlic, coriander, salt and pepper and saute until golden brown.




Now add the shredded apples and saute for two minutes.

Now add the saurkraut,  the wine and  a 1/2 cup of water.

Let simmer, covered for about 10 minutes.


Now add the cooked potatoes and stir gently to get the dish combined.

Add to a nice plate, sprinkle the chopped fresh parsley over the top and serve with spicy Deli Mustard.



My husband absolutely loved this dish and it was healthy as well!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Photos

please don't use my photos without asking...