Monday, January 3, 2011

Black Eyed Pea Dip



So, I was searching the Internet for some new recipe ideas and I was seeing a lot of recipes for black eyed peas. These recipes were all related to the impending New Year.  Apparently down south it is customary to serve some type of black eyed pea dish.  The idea behind this is to bring good luck.  I am the type of person that if something is said to bring good luck well then I will follow suit.  I could use all the good luck I can get.

So, now I was on a mission to find the right black eyed pea recipe.  We were having some friends over for New Years Day so I decided the black eyed pea recipe should be an appetizer.

I am a regular visitor of the pioneer woman and I found this great recipe for black eyed pea dip.  I didn't really change the recipe all that much just added more of certain ingredients and I also added cream cheese to it which her recipe did not call for.

Here is what you'll need:

  • 1 can black eyed peas
  • 1 tsp hot sauce
  • 1/2 cup salsa ( i used a medium heat salsa)
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 cup cream cheese
  • 1 small onion diced
  • 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • 10 slices of jarred Jalapenos, diced
  • salt and pepper



There is that crazy kid again!


Drain and rinse the peas in a strainer.  Now place the peas into a dish where you can smash the peas with a fork.  Some of the peas should remain intact.


Now throw the rest of the ingredients into a bowl along with the smashed peas and mix thoroughly.


Pour the mixture into a baking dish.  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until brown and bubbly.


Serve with some Tortilla Chips.


There you have a delicious creamy dip that will bring you oodles of luck in the new year...!

Happy New Year Everyone, may this year bring you health and happiness!!

1 comment:

Photos

please don't use my photos without asking...