Monday, March 21, 2011

Semi Homemade Chicken Pot Pie



As I said the other day my life has been quite hectic the last couple of weeks.  Aside from the daily craziness of my life I have had to tend to some family business as well.  Since I have had so much on my plate I have resorted to making some semi homemade dishes.

What do I mean by semi homemade?  I mean instead of using homemade chicken gravy I use jarred gravy instead of grilling my own chicken cutlets I purchase chicken that has already been cooked.

Anyway, My daughters first grade teacher has a close friend who lost her husband in a tragic accident recently.  When I heard what happened I wanted to do something.  There is nothing more heartbreaking than hearing of a mother with two young kids who is now a widow.  So I had contacted my daughters teacher and told her I wanted to supply her friend with a home cooked meal.  After committing to this some family issues came up and I became extremely busy.  This recipe came to mind because of how easy it is to make but still really tasty.

This is a perfect dish for a working mom who wants to supply a home cooked meal for her family but is restricted on time.

Here is what you'll need:




  • 1 package of Perdue Chicken shortcuts, chopped
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1 package of frozen peas and carrots
  • 1 package of frozen corn
  • 1 can of Heinz chicken gravy
  • 1 package of Pillsbury ready made pie crust.
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 package of Simply Potatoes, which is cooked potatoes and onions (this is in the refrigerator section near the Perdue chicken)
  • Salt and Pepper to taste




In a fry pan melt the butter then add the chicken shortcuts and bag of potatoes and onions.  Saute for a few minutes.  Add salt and pepper to taste.


In a casserole dish, (i used a disposable pan since I was bringing this to the woman in need)  combine the frozen veggies, potatoes and onions, chicken, sour cream and gravy.  


Mix well.


Now unroll the pie crust and with a pizza cutter slice the crust into strips.  


I did a basket weave pattern with the pie crust strips but you can create whatever pattern you like.

Cover with tinfoil and bake at 375 for 40 minutes.  Remove the tinfoil when there is ten minutes left so the pot pie will brown.


There you have a semi homemade chicken pot pie!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Photos

please don't use my photos without asking...