Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Red Lentil Curry Soup




I have never had Indian food so I do not have any experience with Curry.  I always hear people talk about curry and how they just love it.  I have many friends who just adore Indian food and I have been quite curious about it for quite some time.  
I was online searching for some new recipes and I came across this soup and decided to try it!  Boy am I happy I tried it because it was fantastic!

  • Here is what you'll need:


  • 1 tablespoon peanut oil
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon minced ginger
  • 2 clove garlic, chopped
  • 1 cup dry red lentils
  • 1 cup Sweet potato - peeled and cubed
  • 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 4 cups water
  • 1 can coconut milk
  • 3 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1 teaspoon curry powder
  • 1 pinch cayenne pepper
  • 1 pinch ground nutmeg
  • 1 pinch Cardamom
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • salt and pepper to taste



Heat a large soup pot and add the peanut oil


Here is the peanut oil that I forgot to put in the ingrediant picture.


Add the onion, ginger and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes.


Now add the sweet potato and saute.


Next add the water and all the seasonings as well as the coconut milk.


Now add the red lentils, aren't they so pretty?


Next add the chopped cilantro.


Finally add the tomato paste and stir well.  
Now place the cover on the pot and let simmer on low for at least 1 hour.


Serve with some fresh bread!


This soup was so good!  The flavors were fantastic!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Photos

please don't use my photos without asking...