Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Crock Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage


My husband and I love Corned beef and cabbage.  I like to make it even when its not St. Patrick's day.  This St. Patrick's day our lives were very hectic so I found this great recipe for crock pot corned beef and cabbage.  I found this recipe on allrecipes.com and it was fantastic.

Here is what you'll need:


  • 1 head of cabbage, quartered
  • 1 onion, quartered
  • 4 cloves garlic, smashed
  • 20 baby Yukon Gold potatoes, halved
  • 4 lb corned beef , washed and patted dry (this will shrink to at least half its original size)
  • 15 peppercorns
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 12oz of dark beer 





In a large crock pot add the potatoes, onions, garlic, peppercorns and bay leaves.


Place the corned beef over the onions and potatoes.


Now you can place the cabbage on top of the meat.  


**When I make this again I will add the cabbage about an hour before it is scheduled to be eaten. My husband prefers the cabbage to be a little crispy and adding the cabbage at the beginning left us with very soft cabbage.**


Now pour the beer over the meat.


Cover and cook on low for 6 - 8 hours.


Notice how the corned beef shrunk.


Remove the corned beef and slice to your desired thickness.


Does that look good or what?


With a slotted spoon remove the cabbage and potatoes.


Enjoy with your choice of mustard and some Irish soda bread!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Photos

please don't use my photos without asking...