Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Lentil Soup




As I have said before I love soup and what I love about soup is that they can cook all day!  The house fills with the smells of your impending meal.  I also like to prepare my meals in advance since when dinner time rolls around, my house tends to get crazy.  So having a meal I can prepare in the early afternoon really makes my evening a lot less stressful!

Here is what you'll need:


  • 4 carrots peeled and chopped
  • 1 onion diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 celery stalks, chopped
  • 1 package of lentils, rinsed and picked through (there can be some pebbles in a package of lentils)
  • 32 oz chicken stock (i used low sodium and low fat)
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 4 oz Pancetta, chopped (optional)
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • 2 tsp paprika
  • salt and pepper
  • 1/2 package frozen spinach, thawed
  • 1 bay leaf


 Heat a Dutch Oven and add the chopped Pancetta and saute until
the Pancetta starts to brown.



Now add the onions, and garlic.


Next add the carrots and the celery.


Saute for about 10 minutes.


Now add the cumin, paprika, bay leaf and salt and pepper.


Now add the water and saute for a few more minutes



Next add the spinach and saute again for a few more minutes. 


Now pour in the chicken stock.


Add the lentils.


Bring soup to a simmer and cover for a few hours.


The soup will be very thick and full of flavor. 
Serve with some fresh grated Romano cheese and some warm bread! 
Enjoy!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Photos

please don't use my photos without asking...