Sunday, February 6, 2011

Corn Chowder


I love soup and I especially love a good chowder....This morning I woke up and asked hubby what he wanted for dinner and he said Chili...I had just posted a chili recipe and these days I am cooking for two reasons.   One to fill my families bellies and two to post on the komfort kitchen site.  I certainly was not going to go to all that effort of making chili if I could not make a post as well.  Anyway I ended up making Corn Chowder as that was my hubby's second request...of course he requested Home Made Corn Bread as well..can you say SPOILED?????

I have been making this recipe for years and found it in Newsday back in 2003.  It is so tasty and fairly easy to make.  Start to finish it took less than an hour.

Here is what you'll need:


  • 4 tbsp butter
  • 4 slices of bacon, chopped (optional)
  • 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
  • 1 green pepper, chopped
  • 1 red pepper, chopped
  • 2 cans of corn, drained
  • 1 tbsp Tarragon leaves, chopped
  • 3 cups milk
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • salt and pepper to taste

Heat a soup pot and add the butter.


Now add the chopped bacon and saute until it starts to brown.


Next add the onions and saute until translucent.


Add the peppers and let cook for a few minutes.


Now add the corn and saute again for a few more minutes.


Add the milk, water, heavy cream and Tarragon leaves.  Let simmer for 10 minutes.


Now using a handheld blender or a traditional blender, blend the soup.  



There you have a nice creamy soup.  Bring back to a simmer for a few more minutes.


Cut up some scallions or chives and sprinkle them over the hot soup.
Serve with a nice Home Made Corn Bread, or any bread you desire.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Photos

please don't use my photos without asking...